The inspiration of Paul Groves, The Marine Aquarists' Society of Western Australia (MASWA) was formed in 1995 and became incorporated in December 2006.
MASWA's purpose is to strive to protect and promote the interests of Western Australian marine aquarists by observing and upholding the official objects of the society:
(1) To act as an information resource for Western Australian and Australian marine aquarists.
(2) To bring the marine aquarium hobby together within Western Australia, to allow growth and sharing of knowledge and expertise.
(3) To work with all relevant organisations, both state, national and international, in order to:
• Educate, inform, and support best practices for sustainability, and
• Encourage captive propagation and thereby encourage advances in marine aquarium husbandry and further reduce collection impact on the environment.
(4) To offer assistance to hobbyist, being part the establishment and ongoing administration of the Marine Aquarium Societies of Australia (MASA).
(5) To actively promote sustainable practices in the hobby, including, but not limited to:
• Captive propagation, both recreationally and commercially, and
• Drastic reductions in mortality rates during collection, handling and holding animals within the commercial sphere of the hobby.
(6) To act as a political voice at both the state and federal level on issues pertaining to marine aquarium keeping.
(7) To provide common online resources to enhance the feeling of community amongst reef keepers.
Meetings are usually held on the last Wednesday evening or Sunday afternoon of the month at a different member's home, where we view their marine setup and exchange ideas, or at a sponsor store, where we usually have discounts or raffles available. Interested members also meet on some weekends for social, diving and snorkeling get together's- occasionally venturing to the coral reefs of our beautiful north west.
A newsletter (The Living Reef) is sent out prior to every meeting with upcoming events, up-to-date ideas and information based largely on the discussions of topics on the internet, summaries of information found in hobby magazines and write-ups of member's own experiences.
A growing number of members have internet access and keep regular contact via Facebook or the MASWA Members private area of the RTAW Forum. These are both great resources for both new and experience aquarists and a great social arena to discuss anything from Water Chemistry to funny experiences of the hobby.
We hope that this site will be a useful reference, not only to interested West Aussies but also to those of you from interstate or overseas who may have wondered what Perth has to offer.
Copyright © 2009 ---.
All Rights Reserved.
Designed by Cico.